Nonprofits seeking A Community Thrives grants from ABJ, Gannett
Six local nonprofit organizations have applied for grants through The Gannett Foundation’s A Community Thrives program. Now they need your support.
Gannett is the parent company of the Akron Beacon Journal and its local weekly newspapers. The Gannett Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Gannett. A Community Thrives supports nonprofit organizations’ projects focused on community building and has distributed more than $12 million in grants and donations since 2017.
The crowd-funding campaign period, which is Phase 2 of the program, runs through Aug. 13. Organizations need to raise a required amount to be eligible for grant consideration.
To support organizations, go to https://acommunitythrives.mightycause.com/giving-events/act21/home and search to find local participants.
Here are the organizations participating and their reason for requesting financial support:
- Dreams Academy International of Akron for its Dreams Academy Leadership Series.
- None Too Fragile Inc. of Akron for pathway to accessibility (phase 1). None too fragile theatre is committed to producing theatre of the highest quality.
- Junior Achievement of North Central Ohio for a Virtual Career Exploration Fair for students
- Falls Cancer Club Inc. of Cuyahoga Falls to assist patients and families facing the diagnosis of cancer with the payment of doctor, hospital and medical bills.
- Greater Cleveland Junior Golf Scholarship Fund: Promotes the game of golf to provide the youth of any skill level.
- Lake Erie Ink — a Writing Space for Youth for a teen book project.
Gannett Foundation and A Community Thrives will review and then award:
- 16 national project grants (three $100,000 grants; seven $50,000 grants; six $25,000 grants).
- 100+ local operating grants (amounts vary; applicants that provide services in local Gannett communities and meet eligibility requirements are considered).
- Six top fundraiser grants (three large national nonprofits, three small nonprofits).
- Thirty-two weekly bonus challenge awards.
Last year, the Gannett Foundation provided more than $2 million in grants and helped participating nonprofits raise more than $3 million.
Source: Beacon Journal
The Akron Beacon Journal became part of Gannett in December 2019, and last year was the first year that the Community Thrives program was available locally.
Select a button below to see how you or your organization can get involved with Junior Achievement of North Central Ohio.Donate Volunteer Request A Program